Sarah Jane Lee aged 20, from Blackburn in Lancashire, had a bank balance of £6.59 then a mistake by the Abbey bank had caused the figure to rocket to £135,000.
So what would a formerly broke 20 year old with the name Sarah Lee do? she spent it, on holidays, furniture and gave thousands to friends but not on a name change.
The 1968 Theft Act says: "A person is guilty of an offence if - (a) a wrongful credit has been made to an account kept by him or in respect of which he has any right or interest; (b) he knows or believes that the credit is wrongful; and (c) he dishonestly fails to take such steps as are reasonable in the circumstances to secure that the credit is cancelled."
For fucks sake what ever happened to live and let live? the reasoning is if you notice a mistake like 135 grand you should own up to it, the gurl is now awaiting sentencing.
Judith Franklin from Bristol commented on the story:
About 25 years ago we found £42,000 wrongly credited to our Natwest account. I went to report it and was repeatedly asked whether I was sure it wasn't ours. Finally convinced, they tracked down the real owner. I commented that I was surprised the owner hadn't missed it and was told. 'It may be a large sum of money to you, Madam, but we have some very rich clients who would scarcely notice'
Michelle from london said:
We should offer banks a deal - if I find £100,000 in my bank account, I won't spend it, and if I go 5p overdrawn because a cheque doesn't clear in time, the bank won't charge me £30 for it, plus another £5 for the letter telling me it's going to charge me.
This story made me think as £135,000 would really make a difference in my life and I'd probably come up with excuses to spend it, like if someone left something on yer property for a week you could say silly bugger and keep it, they shouldn't have left it there.
So what would you do?
Wednesday, August 29, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment